Friday, June 24, 2011

teaching the slow learners

In teaching the slow learners, teacher should always consider the interest of the pupils. One of their interests to learn easily when the lesson is introduce through games. As their teacher, the seating arrangement is one of the new technique I am using through games. How does it looks? Does the seating arrangement am using applicable to other classroom management? It maybe....

The seating arrangement I am using in my class has no desk, nor tables or chairs to seat in. All my pupils are just squatting the floor with a rubber to seat in. All the activities given to them when doing are free to move around so that they can easily move from one style to the other. This maybe new to public schools but some private schools are using the said arrangement, but not to whole day activity. In my set up, this seating arrangement is utilize the whole day round.

In my observation, the seating arrangement I am utilizing in my class is not boring since the pupils are free to move to what they wanted to do during the session. Like forming a circle during group activity, then a line formation during class discussion, or a base formation when the activity given is using base 1 to 5,etc. while different topic is given, or just squatting to any part during the planning of a certain activity to do. Aside from those observation, all my pupils participated whatever activities given because the teacher can easily monitor who are doing. In fact, the pupils always consider that all the things they do inside the room are all playing without pressure but then all the activities given will end up to something new (lesson to learn).

Another observation in my seating arrangement, when cleaning the room, it is easy for us to finish because the room is empty. It is also a help to the agency because no budget for supplying desk, chairs, or tables anymore. It is easy for me to monitor my pupils who are not listening because they are not hiding behind because they cannot hide when they are playing during the discussion.

With my seating arrangement, my experiences with my pupils are fruitful because less stress to my part (am just a facilitator during the session ), and at the end of the lesson, my pupils learn something new through games. Games that are educational one. For all we know, most of the time in public schools setting, teacher keeps on talking and scolding because the pupils are not listening rather playing while the teacher do the discussion. In my set up, the pupils are doing to come up with a new lesson to learn and not from the teachers effort.

After 3 weeks of experiencing with this seating arrangement, I can say that there is always room for all pupils especially the slow ones to learn. The accusations from some teachers that they reject the slow ones are always a crime because based from my seating arrangement slow learners can learn the way fast learners can. As their teacher, before the day ends, I imparted to them the best one. I have no tiresome moments with them, in fact some students from other class have to visit my classroom just to watch what we are doing.

FOR ALL THE TEACHERS OUT THERE, LET'S MAKE A CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH AND TRY TO UTILIZE THE WAY I AM DOING WITH MY CLASS...

No comments:

Post a Comment